0

This Is Mexico: We Can Fit At LEAST 3 More People In That Car

Posted by Miz B on Thursday, March 10, 2011 in , , , ,
This post is dedicated to Woman Driving, Man Sleeping by The Eels,



because without it I wouldn't have woken up this morning, so I wouldn't have gone to school, so I wouldn't have gotten bored and wandered off to type this post.
Hello world! Didja miss me? Firstly, birthdays! Over the last month or so, I missed a whole bunch of peoples birthdays. Better late than never! Big ups to Allan, maybe next year I'll both remember AND be there. You've seriously got me on this one, I don't think you've ever missed one of my birthdays. Guess you're just a better person than I am.
Feliz Compleanos to Karina, my first host sister (although I haven't met her in person yet). Hope your birthday was epic and the rest of your exchange in Japan is awesome too. Thank you for letting me sleep in your room. Happy birthday to Jose Louis too. Thanks for going to such lengths to get me to your party, and thanks for being such a good friend to me here. BTW, you may see Chicago sooner than you think...

On to the mundane inanities!
For the .00001% of the population that gives a damn:
-Supernatural is on Hellatus until April 16.
-Sherlock doesn't start until the fall.
-Being Human UK season 3 finishes next week.
-Doctor Who season whatever-the-heck-number-they-decided-they're-on doesn't empieza (start) for another month.
-Jim Butcher delayed the release of Ghost Story until freaking July 26. If you particularly want to suffer, Penguin Publishing posted the first chapter on their website. It's well worth a read if you want to torture yourself and not actually learn anything. Darn you, Penguin!
-The Star Trek sequel isn't coming out until sometime in June next year. I knew it wasn't coming out for a while, but a whole year. I need me some Spock! And Uhora.

On the other hand, The Listener actually got a second season. No one remembers this show because it was Canadian, and while it did pretty good in the north, America barely showed it. I caught it free on Hulu way back when, and was disappointed that I quite enjoyed it, because saying there will be a second season but they don't know when is kind of a surefire sign that you will never see the show again. But, god bless those Canadians, 2 years later season 2 started airing. I quite recommend checking it out if you get the option. Also, they get massive props for using The Heavy's Short Change Hero during the first 2 episodes. Quite well, I might add.

Also, I saw I Am Number Four over the weekend. Frankly, I don't care what the reviewers say, I loved it. I would recommend it to anyone, even though it's clearly a setup for the 2nd movie, which might not happen. That said, I have a long history of enjoying good books turned into less good movies (examples include Jumper, Stormbreaker, City of Ember, Percy Jackson and The Olympians). Hell, I even kind of liked Eragon, and that movie was awful. Of course, the three things a movie can have that will ensure I love it even if it's awful are
1) giant robots
2) dragons
3) Megan Fox
See why I love Transformers so much? That said I don't know if even adding giant fire-breathing lizards to Transformers 3 will make up for firing Megan Fox...

My return date is down on tickets! As my arrival date proved, that by no means insures that I'll be back home the day after, as my arrival date proved. That said, the number on my ticket is 30 June. I am putting a counter in the sidebar for the fun of it, but it's wrong right now. The little green 'plus' button is covering up the third number. I am coming back in 112 days, not 12. Sorry folks.
It's odd, the feeling that I only have so much time left (about 112 days right now). I am going to miss it here, but at the same time I am really looking forward to coming home. I miss my family, my friends, my dog. I miss my school, English, descent hamburgers. Pizza! Chinese takeout!

Anyway. I haven't really learned any new Spanish today or anything interesting. I did learn how to make an origami heart. And how not to make an origami boat. Sigh. Life on Thursdays hasn't been that interesting since Supernatural moved to Fridays.
Oh! More useless TV talk! I know I am the only person in the known universe (at least that I know of) who watches White Collar, but I gotta say, I would recommend starting now just so you can enjoy the last episode of season 2, which aired this Tuesday. Pitch perfect, folks! Pure genius.

As some of you knew, I was looking forward to learning to play jarana, a local kind of Ukulele-guitar-thing. Well, looks like that's not gonna happen. I still ask every day when I come home from school, and get the daily "Don't worry, we're looking", which I now realize means the odds of anything actually coming of this are about as good as mine are of finding $500 on the street. I still would really like to learn, but I couldn't have played when I got back to the states anyway, since jaranas are expensive, delicate, and apparently only made by certain people. If I had one, I probably would have broken it on the plane. Instead, I noticed that the arts school right in front of my house has guitar lessons, so I am going to go over there later today and see if they offer classes in some kind of Mexican guitar techniques. I've heard some people play Flamenco too, and that stuff sounds SO COOL.
Anyway, I'll let you know as more develops.
Also, before my mother goes after me again (hi mom!), I watch almost all of this stuff at least with Spanish subtitles, usually doblada (dubbed), and no, this is not all that I do with my life, not even close. This is just my version of gossip, and I have to share it with someone. Expect it to peter off quite a bit when I get back to the states and have a captive audience...I mean, have people who care. Ahem.
Have a great day!

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Piña Libre All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.