0

Aaaaand.....

Posted by Miz B on Wednesday, October 06, 2010
Well, I don't really want to write anything right now. I'm not in a writing mood, I'm more in a 'snap-at-everyone' mood, so don't be surprised if this is a little clipped. There. Thou hast been forewarned. I didn't get to school today, either, so not much to say on that front. Sort of a boring day. Oh! I guess I could use this time to explain something to my ignorant American friends (insert snarky French accent here) so they can stop bothering me. The idea of personal space in Mexico is nothing compared with the United States. For some reason, a picture of a boy from my school and I has everyone freaked out (if you didn't see it, don't worry. It's seriously not worth the fuss.). Christian tripped on the hem of my dress and fell on me, just as my friend Jose Luis was taking a picture. It's actually a pretty funny picture, truth be told, but I knew all my helpful family members back in the states would pull a good old Chicago-style panic, so I asked them to get rid of it. But this is Mexico, so it ended up on Facebook before the day was through. Seriously, there is no such thing as personal space here. You should be able to figure that out from the way people greet each other here: men greet with handshakes and hugs, and anyone greeting a girl or women gives and gets a kiss on the cheek. This counts for everyone, from people you're related too to random people you meet on the street. This doesn't bother me because a) it's an accepted part of the culture, so no one makes a deal out of it, and b) all my friends back home are thespians. Do the math. Anyway, I only say this to point out that all my friends who aren't in Rotary here are from my school, they all like their cameras, and there are several very good reasons why this is a total non-issue. Firstly, I'm me. You guys all know me, lack of responsibility is not one of my defining characteristics. Also, there's another very good reason, which Allan and Cameron should be giggling about already...
My point is, haha, funny picture. Aaaand, moving on.

In other news, I'm trying to plan ahead in my free time right now (no books I can read and no English TV makes free time a little more...interesting...than I would usually like). I only bring this up since this is mainly what I was doing today and I'd like to add more to this post than annoyed venom and I can't really think of anything else to discuss. Currently, sometime in the future I am planning to finish out my gen eds at Parkland and transfer out to another university. But have you ever tried to find a good university with a good anthropology program over the internet if you're a homeschooled student with over 10 hours of dual credit who happens to be living in Mexico (and also happens to have a lot of very exacting criteria)? It's exactly as much fun as it sounds. Ah, enough with the pessimism. I'm going to bed.

Note:
Since this post was so pessimistic, I would check back soon for a new one. I don't like the idea of this being the first thing people read on the site for anything longer than 24 hours.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Piña Libre All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.