0

Happy Post-Valentines Day, Bitches!

Posted by Miz B on Monday, February 14, 2011
I believe love is primarily a choice and only sometimes a feeling. If you want to feel love, choose to love and be patient.
-Real Live Preacher.com


Well, it's been a while. Since it's now the day after Valentine's Day (or Dia de San Valentin here), and god knows I had not got anything better to do, I figured I'd do a sort of meta post about Valentine's Day, love, and my slightly wacky theories about the aforementioned...stuff. Also, I'd like to apologize for the interesting situation with the theme. I liked the old one, but it kept eating stuff I put in. Then I tried another one that I also liked, but it crashed every school computer I tried to load it on (not to mention my Kindle), so I guess we're back to square one. Hello, old one! The sidebar widgets are gonna take forever to sort out, but no one used anything but the weather one anyway, so who cares? ANYway...
Unless mentioned, NONE of this stuff is in order from my favorite or anything like that. So, without further ado, I give you how I wasted my Valentine's Day!!

First off, let's go for the songs! This list is not complete, since I made the mistake of putting all this in a playlist on my Ipod, which crashed yesterday and deleted all my playlists. So, here are (some of) my top songs about love. A few notes: except for the first three, these are in no particular order. Also, I mean love in the general sense, non necessarily romantic love.

1. L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole
This song has a lot of versions, but this is the best. I also recommend the recording off his Best Of album. Really, there's nothing else to say about this. It's the sweetest song I know of.

2. All You Need Is Love by The Beatles
Another obvious one. Also, the version sung by Jim Sturgess in Across The Universe is quite good.

3. Almost Like Falling In Love by Nat King Cole
Am I trying to tell you something with that 2 of the best love songs are sung by Nat King Cole? Yes, yes I am. You may recognize this from the end of Groundhog Day.

4. Deliver Me by Beloved
This one could be pretty hard to come by, but it's worth it. I love this song so much it is one of maybe 50 which has weathered the dangerous journey over all my technological appliances since I got it. Sure, I re-download things all the time, but to be purposefully transferred really says something.

5. Fell In Love With A Girl by The White Stripes
Not exactly about eternal love, but then, how much of life is? Also, The White Stripes rule.

6. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers
Who doesn't love this song? I would explain more, but I think I'll let Ted and Marshall tell the rest:



7. Love and Hope by Ozomatli
This is less about romantic love and more about love in a worldly sense, but I always like to think of Valentine's Day in terms of love in general. Also, no playlist is complete without Ozomatli. Ozomatli rocks!

8. Where Is The Love? by The Black-Eyed Peas
Arguably the last really good song they've done. Again, about love in general. I recommend clearing some space to dance to this one.

9. Burnin' Love by Elvis Presley
Hail to the King, baby!
Also, the Wynonna version isn't to bad.

10. Love Song by Sarah Bareilles
I know this isn't really a romantic song so much, but it IS about love, and let's face it, Sarah Bereilles sings it real purty.

11. One Love by U2
U2 does lots of songs about love, but I like this one. Also very good is the Keziah version off the In The Name of Love: Africa Celebrates U2 album.

12. Bubbly by Colbie Callat
Sue me. I love this song. I think it's sweet.
Shut up.

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
-H. L. Mencken


Movies (very much not in order except for the first one)

1. Imagine Me & You
Probably one of the only non-comedic romantic movies I can actually watch without getting bored or falling asleep. Plus, Lena Headey is so cute, even when she's not being Sarah Connor. And it's all British. And it has Giles. Dancing. Really, what more could you want? *warning: read the back of the box. Not everybody might like this one*

2. Bride & Prejudice
A modern-day, British-Bollywood retelling of the Austen classic. Basically, a bunch of varyingly smart, pretty Indian girls tearing down London, Los Angeles, and Amritsar. With lots of singing. It might take a particular kind of person to like, but is a good add-on for someone who liked Bend It Like Beckham but wanted more singing.

3. Philadelphia Story
Although it's definitely got that lovely misogyny so rampant in movies from this era, and Cary Grant's a bit of a wanker (but then, when isn't he?), this movie is still excellent. Katherine Hepburn at her sarcastic best.

4. Zombieland
Young love, gore, crazy Texans, random disregard for the English language, AND blatant misuse of a beloved folk-country instrument. What more could you ask for?

5. Pride and Prejudice
Can't really not mention this (while I am very pointedly not mentioning Wuthering Heights or Gone With The Wind. Or Twilight. VERY pointedly.) While of course the movie can't see the book with that special new telescope (explained by Hank Green), the only rendition I really like is the Keira Knightly one. For some reason I couldn't really get into all this until about 4 months ago, when it played on HBO and I laughed until I cried. That said, I sincerely recommend the book, especially if you are one of those people who think Rhett and Scarlett were the be-all end-all of romance. Also one of the only period-speak books which is so sarcastic you will laugh until you almost pee. Trust me, mother-recommended, daughter-approved (I love you, mom!)

6. The Thin Man
What, you thought all romances were about when 2 people first meet? This movie comes in on any list of purely excellent movies, but in romance it is especially good. The completely unwavering love, devotion, and snark Nick and Nora Charles share is something I have yet to see replicated anywhere (except possibly by my parents). My daydream is to someday have a relationship this happy. Also, you will never see as much booze consumed by 2 people anywhere in film again. Ever.

7. Mr. And Mrs. Smith
I still believe this is actually a documentary of the everyday lives of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Just sayin'.

8. Fantastic Mr. Fox
The closest thing I think you'll find to a romance for kids. The voice talents of George Clooney and Meryl Streep make the characters even more fun. This one is worth watching any time, I love it.

9. The Matrix
What? You thought this was just about philosophy and fighting the man and looking badass in sunglasses and leather indoors? Look again. In fact, in the end it's all a love-can-conquer-death situation. Plus, you know, there's Morpheus, and they blow a bunch of stuff up. Wooo!

10. Benny and Joon
This is really the only 'normal' romance flick on this list, so that might clue you in to my tastes right there. Johnny Depp is all young and cute and keeps doing crazy tricks with hats and stuff (and doesn't he look a lot like a certain very tall skinny friend of mine who recently cut most of his hair off?). Also, this is the movie that made a certain song very famous (see above).

11. His Girl Friday
This movie is so funny and brilliant you really won't realize it's even a romance until it's over. Seriously.

12. Hellboy
Proof that cross-species and cross-dimension love can be real. Never thought you'd be rooting for the giant red demon-creature to hook up with Selma Blair? Soon you will.

13. The Mummy
For some reason, my mom doesn't like Brenden Fraser, so she won't watch this movie, but I think the chemistry between Fraser and Rachel Weisz is so cute, I don't even mind all the dorky archeological faux pas. Of course, when someone's running from an evil undead computer-generated monster and they knock over a vase and you wince when the vase breaks, that might be clue you have a problem...

14. The Proposal
Like I said, I usually despise romantic comedies (at least any that came out in the last 20 years), but this is one exception. This is the movie which made me forgive Ryan Reynolds for Buried, which makes it o.k. for him to do Green Lantern. Whew!

15. Howl's Moving Castle
As usual, read the book. But in this case, the book is so different and Miyazaki is such a genius, this story about a downtrodden young woman cursed to look like an old woman and hired as a cleaning woman in the giant walking creature-house of an irresponsible young sorcerer is really very sweet. I know. Hayao Miyazaki has never done anything bad.

The Honorable Mention Shpeel
See, as you may have realized, my problem with a majority of romance films is that that's all they are: romance. Real life isn't like that (or it shouldn't be), so why do we watch movies about impossibilities? Or rather, why not impossibilities like romance and giant robots (Transformers, the first one only)-a note: I will watch anything with giant robots. I have a very big geek spot there, aliens and romance (Independence Day, we love Will Smith!), metal 'prostheses' and romance (Iron Man), gratuitous gore and romance (Planet Terror, or the new show The Walking Dead. Seriously, dude travels the countryside during a zombie apocalypse looking for his family without even any evidence that they are even alive? If that's not love, what is?), big blue cat people and romance....and Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar. Dude changes species for his girl. That's romantic right there). BTW, if you like Michelle Rodriguez (and didn't barf watching Planet Terror), than you're gonna love Machete.

"You make me understand how wonderful it is for little lizards when they find that one special rock that's perfect for sunning themselves on. You make me lizard-happy."
-Randy K. Milholland



The Lists
Well, since we have now finished with the more obvious stuff, I made some wierder stuff up! First of all, cutest couples!

My parents.
You guys are some of the most cutestest people ever. I miss you!

Zoe and Walsh from Firefly.
Come on fellow nerds! Back me up! Oh, Joss. We miss this so much.

Lily and Marshall from How I Met Your Mother
I know lots of people don't watch this anymore, although I don't know why. NPH sure as snot hasn't stopped being funny! But Lily and Marshall are just so cute and joined at the hip. And they always back each other up.

Ellen Degeneres and Portia (De Rossi) Degeneres
To quote Castle:
Kevin: I'm telling ya, true commitment is a thing of the past. I mean, name one happily married couple.
Castle: DeGeneres and De Rossi.
Jon: Ooh. I think he's got you there, bro.
-Nanny McDead, Season 1


"All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon sand."
-Ella Wheeler Wilcox



And now,
The Best Bromances on TV! (come on, you know you want to)


1. Sam and Dean Winchester (Supernatural)

I stick by my boys. Plus, it's true. They've each died to save the others life like, what, three times now? Something like that. And the bro thing gets an extra point since they are brothers.

2. John Watson and Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes canon)
I was referring to the characters played by Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch in BBC's modern-day reboot Sherlock, but the point stands anywhere. These two have been uncontested bros for, like, ever.

3. George Sands and John Mitchell (Being Human)
And I am talking about the UK Being Human, because I can't stand the U.S. one. They met in a back alley when Mitchell told off some fellow vampires who were going to beat George to death over the longstanding cultural dislike between vampires and werewolves, and they've pretty much been getting pissed down at the pub together every week ever since. I love this show.

4. Will Truman and Grace Adler (Will & Grace)
Snigger. Tell me I'm wrong. Another show I love.

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.
-Matt Groening


Best Breakup Music Video

I figured there was enough stuff for normal happy people, how about something to cheer up those people who's Valentine's Day SUCKED? I have never found a Pink video I didn't love. I particularly adore the bit where she's riding her riding lawnmower down the street in morning day traffic, and the fact that the 'i'm gonna drink my money, not gonna pay his rent' line seems to be a reference to coffee...

'So What' by P!nk


Love is not a bandage to cover wounds.
-Hugh Elliott

Love Yourself
Here's another bit from Pink that should buoy you up if you're feeling down on yourself (warning: as the name should clue you in, it does have swearing and the like). Also, great way to get my Tina Majorino fix since Veronica Mars went off air. At least I can see Kristin Bell in other stuff (like this. Can't wait!)

'Fuckin' Perfect' by P!nk



A good relationship is like fireworks: loud, explosive, and liable to maim you if you hold on too long.

-Jeph Jacques

Stuff To Cheer You Up
Now that all the normal bases are covered, what about those of us who were shocked to come in to school and find it decked out in red and pink? What about people who have no one to get Valentines from and are feeling a little left out? Well, let's try some self love here.

More Pink

'Raise Your Glass' by P!nk



Movie:

All About Steve
For some reason, they marketed this as a romance, which it is not, so people got all pissed when they went to see it and instead got Sandra Bollock being brilliant as an odd young woman who falls madly and randomly in love with some dude she just met. The dude, for obvious reasons, takes off. The young lady follows. But instead of them realizing they're really meant to be together or something, they end up on good terms, the young lady has a couple of adventures and makes some new friends, and in the end realizes she doesn't need a guy to define her. I smiled all the way through this.

Song:


Beautiful Day by U2

The music video's a little silly, but this is my favorite song of all time. I think it can cheer up anyone.


Maybe kissing is sort of like nature's coffee.
-Scott Westerfeld


And, as they say, That's All, Folks!
Another post will be up soon, probably full of odd little anthropology related stuff and giant space weasels and all. Like normal.
Enjoy the heck out of the rest of your week, and here it is, you're moment of Zen (apologies to Jon Stewart):


0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Piña Libre All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.